Munich is a very green city and thus an oasis for strollers. Where? Along the Isar River there are pleasant walkways and meadow gardens; near the Residence and Nymphenburg Palace there are elegant formal baroque gardens, and quite near the old town there is the famous English Garden (which offers a planned landscape that gives the illusion of untouched nature and is said to have been the model for New York’s Central Park and is larger than London’s Hyde Park). It was established in 1792 by Benjamin Thompson. The little creek called „Eisbach“ which flows through the English Garden has been adopted by surfers from all over the world, who can be seen plying its wild waves in their wetsuits!
And, last but not least, allotment gardens (Schrebergaerten) in abundance (these garden villages consist of multiple plots tended by individuals and offer relief from the urban landscape). Please note — I can even arrange a tour of a private allotment garden if you would like to see how Munich’s citizens stay in touch with nature. You can also go to the site of the former airport, which was chosen for the 2005 German National Garden Show, with ecological themes that can still be seen and enjoyed. In addition, in 1983 the International Flower and Garden Exhibition took place in Munich – and subsequently on that site a beautiful and spacious park was created, Munich’s Westpark. And let us not forget the 1972 Summer Olympic Games. The Olympic park was laid out for them and to this day it is very popular for all kinds of sporting activities, from jogging to inline-skating to olympic style swimming.
And so, in addition to tons of history and culture, you have nature in abundance! (Did I forget to mention that Bavaria has the oldest purity law in existence guarantying that when you drink a local beer, it was brewed only with the natural ingredints hops, barley and water ? And how better to get close to nature than in a Bavarian beer garden. Prost !)
If you contact me I can send you more details regarding the theme walks below:
- The Garden of the Residence and the English Garden in Munich
- 300 years Nymphenburg Park in Munich
- English Garden in Munich – the First European People’s Park
- Tour through a Private Allotment Garden
- Olympic Park Munich – from Parade Ground and Airport to Sports- and Recreation Centre
- Renaturalization of the Isar River
- Petuel Park – Walk above Munichs‘ Ring Road
- The former Munich Airport is Transformed: Park, Exhibition Centre and over 5000 new Apartments
- Munich’s Westpark – Nature in Munich, Green Recreation and Internationality
- The Baroque Style in the Park of Schleissheim Castle near Munich